Thursday 3 October 2013

Fall Makeup!

I love fall. Fall means winter is coming. Fall means cozy sweaters, candles, cool weather, baking, and extra blankets. Fall is crisp, clean air and warm, inviting colors. Fall isn't too cold and it's not too hot. It's all the best holidays - Halloween and Thanksgiving (twice if you happen to celebrate both Canadian AND American dates) as well as the promise that when you get to that dreary cold winter you'll get Christmas and family.



I even have a candle in the bathroom where I do makeup to keep it smelling like autumn.

Fall is also my favorite for makeup. Nude eyes, deep red lips. Coppery browns and flushed cheeks. Dark vampy lips to compliment the rainy sky. Have I ever mentioned I live in Vancouver? It rains here. No crunchy autumn leaves to walk through but lots of puddles. I love puddles.

I'm rambling. This is a tutorial. My favorite thing about fall makeup is lips. I love dramatic lips. And it's so easy to brush on some mascara and throw on a lip. This is a bit more than that but still takes less than 10 minutes. In advance I'd like to apologize for the weird coloring in these pictures which can be seen right off the bat. That shirt is black. Brand new and black. Not purple.

1. You know the drill. Clean, moisturized prep face. This is especially important in the colder weather when your skin is prone to dehydration, wind burn, and chapping. 

2. I used my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to apply Kat Von D Lock It foundation in an unknown color to my face including my eyelids. I wanted my skin to be really, really even before I powdered using Clinique Stay Matte powder in Stay Buff. I got a sample of this foundation at Sephora. This was it's first use. I'll try and review it soon but long story short I DO NOT like it. The color is obviously quite yellow for my skin and quite cakey looking.

3. Next I took my MAC 217 (a fluffy blending brush) to brush Lorac Pro's Cream shade all over my lid up to the brow bone. This is mainly to set the foundation and create an even skin tone.

4. Using the same brush I applied a highlight and contour from the Lorac Pro as well. I used White just along my brow bone and Taupe into and above my crease. This should look very natural as it is a nude eye.

5. Using NYX's brow kit I lightly filled in my brows. My brows are sparse at the outside edges and if I don't fill them they disappear from afar! I also applied a couple coats of Benefit's They're Real! Mascara.

6. Using a deep, warm red pencil line your lips carefully. This step definitely makes a difference with dramatic lips as it prevents bleeding and improves wear time.

7. Using the same pencil fill your lips in! This is also where the weird lighting comes in. I swear this is deep red not pink! 

8. Apply your lipstick and VOILA. My lipstick of choice for this look was Clinique's Buttershine lipstick in Cranberry Cream. I adore the color but wish it wasn't quite so.. buttery. I also did some light contouring using a matte white and a matte taupe to give my chubby little cheekies some definition.

I moved into natural light for the next pictures so you can see the lip color better! However, I also used my front facing camera on my phone. Not so clever Jayne.



PS: Amelia has found a new place to sleep. She likes to be scarf kitten and keep me warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment