Wednesday 30 October 2013

#2 - A Halloween Mermaid Makeup

Halloween is basically the most fun time of the year for makeup. You can try out a ton of crazy and ridiculous ideas and no one looks at you funny. There is also multiple different events and parties one can attend each time with different looks. Unless you are me. My Halloween plans involve a wild night of eating chocolate and watching non-horror Halloween movies with my boyfriend starting after 10:00 pm when he will be home for work. We live in an adult only apartment building that has a keyless entry so I won't have adorable trick or treaters. I don't really know many people in Vancouver and I don't party so I won't be going out.

But if I was.. I would be a mermaid. I love The Little Mermaid and I actually cried when I realized I wouldn't be able to afford the Ariel palette from Sephora. I also have red hair - not that you can ever pick that up in my bathrooms lighting because it's a browny orange red that looks quite natural not a vibrant red. I decided to do a pretty mermaid makeup today because I am home alone. And EVERYONE else has Halloween tutorials up.


Your blank canvas of a face seems like a good place to start. Also, wet hair and a cozy house coat will make this makeup even better. I sometimes feel like this is an unnecessary step - but I think it's important to be comfortable in your natural skin!

In this picture I've done my skin completely. I mixed Benefit's High Beam with Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Foundation in Fair Beige. I concealed all my redness and dark circles with Benefit's Boi-ing Industrial Strength Concealer in Shade 01. I went back and highlighted with the High Beam and contoured with a matte brown eyeshadow. I wanted to have REALLY flawless skin in this makeup.

Using a concealer brush, apply a shimmery white cream shadow lash line to brow. I used Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hr Cream Gel Shadow in Too Cool.

Then use a dark, matte brown eyeshadow (Lorac Pro's Espresso if you are me!) and blend that into and well above the crease. It's still shimmery because I used it over a shimmery cream shadow but I recommend using a matte to prevent glitter fallout and to prevent you from looking TOO shiny.

Take an angled liner brush in a teal/turquoise cream shadow or liner of your choice and line your upper and lower lash line that meet in a wing. I used Maybelline Color Tattoo in Edgy Emerald (which is NOT emerald) for this part.

Using a pencil brush, smudge in a shadow of a similar color to create dimension. I used a turqoise shade from Coastal Scents Go Palette Sydney.

This is what I'm looking like so far. Not so hot!

Adding eyebrows, mascara, and blush definitely helps! I used NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder in Brunette, Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara in Jet Black, and Chanel Joues Contraste in Espiegle. I packed the blush on - it's a nice shimmery one which I think suits the underwater mermaid look.




I added a dramatic 3D lip. NYX Matte Lipstick in Shocking Pink along the outside, blended into a soft peachy lipstick that has the brand AND color worn off (oops!), with just a touch of gold in the middle.

AND THEN. I ADDED SOME FALSIES. You may know this but I don't usually do falsies. I'm allergic to most glues and I am also lazy. 





What do you think?! I was pretty happy with this look over all! I wish I had a fun costume and rad party to wear it too! 

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab Job...what falsies did you use..I love MACs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used J Cat lashes I got in an ipsy bag awhile ago! I had completely forgotten about them but they fell out of a bag of stuff I was going to give away and I decided to use them. They were actually pretty easy to work with although SUPER long - I had to trim a good 1/4 inch off the outer edge! I was excited when I realized they came with latex free BLACK glue though.

      Delete
  3. Very cute Jayne, your lips look so good too.. love the gold accent in the center...
    I <3 Ariel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous?! Who are you? Thank you very much.

      Delete
  4. Pretty! I adore that lip color on you <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lips look really cool! Alex and I are just hanging out for Halloween too. Which I am kind of ok with . Part of me wishes we had a party or something to go to, but hanging out is so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have had games night then and had our own excuse to dress up! Are you guys also watching nonhorror movies? :P

      Delete